Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Very First Silhouette Project





Hi everyone and Happy Wednesday! It's the middle of the week already, can you believe it?!?! I'm so excited the weekend is almost here. My Silhouette arrived yesterday and I got to play with it some when I got home from work!!! I decided that for my first project, I wanted to cut out an adorable image from an SVG file (there are so many SVG files available online, they are so cheap, and some are even free . . . this is why I wanted to get a Silhouette in the first place, I wanted to be able to access these adorable images; to cut these images out with the Silhouette, you will need either SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot) or MTC (Make the Cut) software. I have SCAL 3.0). I first downloaded my image from Treasure Box Designs (it's from the Girly Girls set). Isn't she super sweet? I just love the artwork over at Treasure Box Designs, she has the cutest stuff! After I got everything all cut out, I inked around all my pieces with chalk and then began putting my image together. It's very different from putting together a cricut cut. On the cricut cuts, you have a base and you work your way up. For these sort of paper-piecing SVG files, you sort of weave the pieces in and out, some are attached behind a piece, others are attached on top of the piece. It's just different. As you can see, my image did not come out perfect at all, I still have a lot of practicing to do, but it's a good start :)

After I finally put my pieces together, I did some doodling with my white gel pen and then added some rhinestones to the flowers in her hair and a pearl button to her jumper. Next I created my card base. My DP is from K&Co. I added a bow and some roses from Wild Orchid Crafts. The sentiment is from an old Studio G set. What do you think?

As for my initial thoughts on the Silhouette, I LOVE it! It cuts like butter, it really does. For instance, the eyes on the image are not drawn (the white part is drawn, but the black eyes are not, they were cut out with the Silhouette, as was the nose). These pieces are tiny, but they cut like a dream. I truly love this machine, I'm so glad I took the plunge :) Don't worry Cricut lovers, I'm not abandoning my Cricut. I just wanted to be able to expand on the different types of art I'm able to utilize and that's why I purchased the Silhouette. I'll be sharing lots more Silhouette/SVG projects with you over the coming days.

Well, that's it from me today. Thanks so much as always for stopping by. Have a wonderful day and I'll see you back here tomorrow :)

5 comments:

Leslie said...

OMG Christine, that is so cute!

Crystal said...

AWWW she is sooooooo cute Christine!!! I SOOOO LOVE the pink and brown!!! Beautiful card!

Adrian said...

Wow, very cute! Congrats on ur new venture!

Brandi said...

So very cute! :) I love her eyes... silly I know... but it's true! Your new toy sounds like lots of fun. Smiles ~ Brandi

Ceci V. said...

Could you please show a tutorial on how to use the silhouette with SCAL? I have both and one, my SIL doesn't cut like butter, I adjusted my settings and it still won't make clean cuts. I know I am doing something wrong or it could be my paper (110Lbs or Paper company)

I don't know how to add my SIL to SCAL so I can cut with it, could you please help me?

Thanks.

...and they lived happily ever after.
blog design by vk design company